- Timber Inspection carry out termite inspections and treatment on commercial an residential structures.
Bridges and Wharves
- We inspect for termites and treat many wharves in Sydney Harbour including those used by Sydney Ferries, owned by local government or private wharves.
- Timber inspection also carry out inspections and treatment on many heritage bridges across NSW.
- We also carry out inspection and treatment of many of the states commercial heritage buildings.
- These buildings have no barrier systems and in most cases could not have barriers fitted. Therefore we only use treatment directed at colony elimination. This also avoids the use of messy liquid chemicals which in any case could not be used over our water courses. Our extensive knowledge of termites, timber and the design of these structures have allowed us to develop systems that make termite detection easier and earlier than would usually be the case, saving our clients money on repairs.
- Timber Inspection carries out termite inspection and treatment on many schools. Colony elimination is also the methods used for these inspections. We do not install chemical barriers as they are expensive and these barriers require regular maintenance. They also require the injection of large amounts of liquid chemicals around buildings. Where possible we try to locate the colony responsible and apply colony elimination techniques direct to the colony. The chemicals used are not listed as hazardous, are only used in small amounts and are only used where active termites are found.
Houses (Termite treatments or PrePurchase Timber Inspections)
- We can inspect your house or carry out a pre-purchase timber pest inspection. Our fees for inspection may be more than others however we charge the true cost of inspection. We do not charge reduced fees just to get our foot in the door to sell you some chemical our baiting system. Our job is to inspect and advise you charging the true cost of this inspection and advice. If we find termites and you would like us to deal with them we will use colony elimination techniques. The preferred methods are to apply baits but dusts can also be affective. We will advise you of the pros and cons of either. Again you will pay for our time. The chemicals will be provided at cost. Off course we will give you advice on termite protection going forward.
- Termites are similar to ants. “Wrong” One of their closest relatives is the cockroach.
- Termites can destroy a house in a matter of weeks. “Wrong” Not familiar with the larger Darwin termite but those termites seen in houses, often shown on TV with substantial damage, have probably had termites in them for years, definitely not weeks.
- Did you know it can takes our most destructive species Coptotermes acinaciformis several years to form a nest strong enough to cause substantial structural damage. If a new home is damaged in those first years it indicates that termites were always present nearby.
- All termites are pests. “Wrong”. Even our destructive termites are useful in the right environment. Termites turn fallen trees back into useful soil. Most of the termite species in Australia are not pests of buildings. Some species feed on grasses or timber that has already weathered or decayed. Some species are pests of trees. Only a handful are considered as pests of buildings.
- There are 3 termite castes The reproductives, the soldiers and the workers.
- The reproductives are the Kings and Queens. They swarm from existing colonies drop their wings pair of and find a place of shelter. Moisture and a food source are also essential to establish a nest. If one of these three requirements are not met initially or early on in the nests development then the nest will not survive. Alates which are the forming reproductive are also part of this group. Unless a species can sub-nest the king and queen care for their young initially.
- The workers are the ones responsible for timber damage. They feed the colony, build their tunnels, accommodation and care for the young and the reproductives. In some species when the queen has sufficient workers she can extend her abdomen then produce many more eggs. This is when noticeable destruction begins.
- The solders task is that of the defence of the colony against predators such as ants. These are the caste that are most easily used to identify species. For identification collect several soldiers where possible. The average length of the soldier can help in identifying species. For example there are 3 species of Coptotermes whose size overlaps around the margins and determining the average size may determine the species. Often when one termite is supplied damage to that termite can make identification difficult.
I think I have found termites ???
- Do not disturb. Call in an expert. Disturbance may cause termites to vacate the area making treatment of the colony more difficult. Definitely do not spray with fly spray. You may kill a handful of termites but the rest of the termites will leave only to return latter or pop up somewhere else.
Other Timber Pests
- We also carry out inspections and reports that relate to other timber pests such as wood decay and Timber Borers.
If you require ant termite advice flick us an email. contact us